Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Intro to Boatbuilding Update 21-3-11

I've been a bit remiss in updating last weeks activities.
The toolboxes are now completed and we went through the peer and tutor grading process today.
Some guys where dreading it. generally I find students tend to mark themselves and colleagues more stringently than tutors do. (but don't take liberties)
Some pretty good boxes with the odd 'roughy'. Very encouraging to see James get stuck in again.

The next thing I'm hoping to see is some Blog entries that firstly record the activities involved in producing the toolboxes and then some reflective comments on "What I Learned" from the experience. This we call "Reflection" and you may be surprised how similar your experiences are to other members of the group. You'll never know until you post it in your Blog.

A hold up in the delivery process of Victorian Oak for the Oilstone boxes meant we started the Trammels out of sequence but the team came to grips with this well.

I believe a greater disturbance to our work-flow has been the need for me to attend  various"meetings", when my preference is to be doing the contact teaching. Here I have support of my CAT Boatbuilding teaching colleagues.
I do wonder what students' think of meetings eating into their tutors contact time with them? Hmmm.

Trade Terms. WIKI.

Some students have migrated into posting some pages in the Wiki, but we need more.
I must establish a Rubric (have colleagues helping me get this right) that shows students the value/relevance in doing this.
I've asked, at his stage, for each student to post 'Naming' word (e.g Chisel) and one 'Action' word per week in order to get the ball rolling. As the programme progresses this requirement will increase, so please get into it now while you have time to develop skills.

Finally, this Wednesday I need to get a sign-off from all students for their attendance to date.
Matthew and I have kept stringent details and the Management team need to see these signed off.

From this point onwards students have been directed to read and sign the Job Safety analysis sheet every morning before touching any tools. You should be pleased to have reached this stage as it indicates that I trust you more fully with shop machines. It is also a responsibility you must take seriously.
Health and Safety is paramount in all workshops.
It is then totally appropriate to have a CAT student Challenge a BAT student for entering the workshop in "Jandals".
Nice one Ogi.

No comments:

Post a Comment